What's the deal with Coconut Oil?
What’s the deal with Coconut Oil?
Isn't it high in calories and saturated fat? Aren’t they supposed to be bad? So what's all the hype on coconut oil suddenly?
Well your right.
Saturated fats have been made out to be our enemy for many years now but studies have shown some are not so bad for us and its actually the trans fat that's playing 'Mr Bad Guy'.
The fat in coconut oil has a special structure that makes it different to other saturated fats – it is what they call a medium chain fatty acid (or medium chain triglyceride) – this is different to the long chain fatty acids found in most animal products. This difference in structure means the fats behave differently when digested and absorbed by the body. It is thought that the fats in coconuts are easier for the body to burn for energy, brain function and muscle function than fats from other sources, and may even help with insulin resistance.
Here's just a few reasons why you should incorporate this magic oil into your kitchen
1. It helps control weight.The good news is that Researchers have discovered that coconut oil is easy to digest and also protects the body from insulin resistance. To try coconut oil for weight loss start by adding one teaspoon to your diet and gradually work your way up to four teaspoons per day.
2. It eases digestion.It has massive antibacterial antiviral and antimicrobial properties.If you are suffering from uncomfortable bloating or irritable bowel syndrome, coconut oil helps ease the symptoms. Fatty acids in coconut oil contain anti microbial properties, which have a soothing affect on bacteria, candida, or parasites that cause poor digestion.
3. It rids your face of wrinkles. Coconut Oil is incredibly hydrating. Rather than adding it to your food why not lather it on your face before bed to smooth out wrinkles and allow your skin to glow! Its also great to pop a bit in the ends of your hair and on your lips.
4. It stops sugar cravings. You would think this is too good to be true, but Instead of opening that Tim Tam packet at 3pm for a sugar fix try eating a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil instead. Apparently good quality fat is more satiating than carbs. Give it a go, we swear by it.
5. Helps to increase bone strength by allowing better absorption of calcium, vitamin D and other minerals.
6. Improves thyroid health due to its unique combination of nourishing properties and the fact that it travels directly to the liver without the need for hormones or enzymes in digestion.
When coconut oil is heat stable, can be used in cooking, in your beauty regime, on top of salads and smoothies. Give it a try, see if works for you.
Image credit: www.instagram.com/casualcrassula